Crematory in Majdanek - Majdanek Concentration Camp
Majdanek Concentration CampThe official name is Konzentrationslager Lublin (Concentration Camp Lublin). Colloquial name has came from the name of Lublin’s district - Majdan Tatarski where the camp was founded.
In the beginning Majdanek was a small camp for POW‘s, later for Jews displacement from Zamojszczyzna (Region in the south-east of Poland near the city of Zamosc). But after the German offensive in Union of Soviet Socialist Republics it has been rebuilt to contain over 50,000 prisoners.
From 1941 to 1944 about 350,000 of people were working in this camp. They were used for works inside the camp as also in German industrial companies placed near Lublin. The number of victims was smaller than Auschwitz or Belzec, but means of extermination were as cruel as everywhere or even worse. Executes by a firing squad was ordinary here.
Guard Towers in Majdenk
Museum in Majdanek was founded immediately after expulsion German army from this territory and before the end of II World War. The exposition is prepared with great care. It includes baths and prisoners barracks, gas chamber, crematories and German warehouses. Majdanek is one of the best preserved Nazi concentration camps in Poland. The mission of museum in Majdanek is to tend memory and evolve education about German occupation in Poland.